Friday, August 26, 2011

Philippians 4:19

I've always know that God provides everything we need, but I've never understood it until Evey was born.

I never would have made it through labor if it wasn't for the massive covering of prayer we had. His presence was so evident in the room the entire day, it was amazing.

Since she's been born, I've gotten tired, but I always have the energy I need in order to feed her and care for her. That wouldn't happen if He wasn't replenishing me each day.


The biggest area where we can see Him working, however, is Immanuel Baptist.

When I was pregnant and we were crunching numbers, we knew I wouldn't be able to quit my job and be a stay-at-home-mom, but we knew it was going to cost us more for Christopher to keep his job in Louisville. We had talked about Christopher quitting his job and staying at home with her, which was my favorite option, but we knew we wouldn't be able to afford for him to quit completely either.

All things considered, we decided Christopher would try to find a new job before August 12. If he couldn't, then he'd return to Louisville Collegiate School and continue his long commute for the next year, even though we were spending over $150.00 per week on gas alone.

Now that August 12 has come and gone, all I can say is that God always provides.

During the summer break, Sullivan actively sent job listings to Christopher and he sent his resume to place after place. A couple of days before Evey was born, he got a listing for the Executive Chef position at Immanuel and the position sounded great. He sent in his resume immediately and got a call back on Evey's birthday. They liked his resume and wanted to set up an interview.

Of course we were thrilled because Immanuel was so close to home which solved all of our commute problems!

The Monday after we brought Evey home, Christopher left his little girl and her mom to go in for an interview. He was really nervous because the position would be so great for us. When he got home, he felt like it went well and, either way, he expected a call very soon because the current chef's last day was August 5th.

The call came in on Tuesday afternoon. Renee and Joel had brought Harrison over to meet his cousin and the phone rang and Christopher talked for a while and then hung up. He came out and announced that he didn't get the position. He said that they loved him, but they didn't love his experience. They didn't want to pass up the opportunity to have him on staff, so their solution was to create a position for him.

The chef at the Solid ROC Cafe is engaged to be married in two years and is planning on moving to New York, so they promoted him to Executive Chef and hired Christopher to replace him. Christopher told them that he'd talk to me and give them a call back when we had made a decision.

The pros:
 - His salary would be $5,000 more each year than he was making at Collegiate.
 - His hours would be 6:30am - 3:30pm.
 - The commute was a 5 minute drive down Tates Creek.
 - We both get a membership to the ROC fitness center.
 - We could put Evey in their daycare program for half price.

The cons:
 - ZERO!

As soon as Christopher told me what the job entailed, I told him to call Immanuel back ASAP and tell them we'd take it! And it seems like they were just as thrilled as we were!

The next day, we got a e-mail from Christopher's new boss saying there was a kink in the daycare situation. Apparently there wouldn't be a slot available until January. Me, being the emotional, hormonal mess that I am, called my mom, crying. I told her we needed to start praying... NOW!

In the same e-mail, they asked Christopher to come in and sign his employment papers before he started work on Monday. Christopher asked if I could come in to take a tour of the daycare facility and find out how things worked. They're very, very family oriented, so it was perfectly fine that I tagged along to the meeting.

Since I'm kind of new at this whole "baby" thing, I had no idea what to ask the daycare employees. My mom has been a preschool teacher forever, so I figured it would be crazy not to use her abundance of knowledge. That means I invited her to tag along for moral support and I'm so glad I did.

When we got to Immanuel, Christopher's boss had good news for us. Apparently, there was a child turning 1 and he was being promoted to the next class. This meant there would be a space available at either the end of September or beginning of October - he wasn't 100% sure. I was so relieved - God definitely came through for us in our time for need, only, at that point, we didn't know how much!

While Christopher signed his papers, my mom and I spent time in the nursery feeding Evey and changing diapers and then we took a tour of the church, ending at the daycare.

We met the director, Jaime, and she was so nice. She answered all my mom's questions and was so patient with my emotions. After our tour, she checked the birthdate of the child they were promoting. And that's when we reazlied exactly how much God provides for us every time we need him!

I'm scheduled to go back to work on September 8th and the birthday is on September 3rd! I couldn't believe it, and that's when the tears started flowing. I kept apologizing to the daycare staff for crying so much and promised them they were good tears. God is so amazing, isn't he???


We signed all the daycare papers, paid the $150.00 fee to hold her slot and headed home. That's when the heartbreak hit. I realized that I was going to have to go back to work and leave my precious little girl with people I didn't know. I always knew she'd have to go to daycare because we couldn't afford for me to quit my job, but my head was racing with questions - what if she liked them more than she liked me? I was devestated, but God has conquered those fears as well.

A week or so after our tour, I went in to eat lunch at the ROC. While I was there, two girls approached me and said "Hi, Mrs. Davis! How's little Evey doing?". It took me forever to place them, but they were her daycare instructors. They remembered both of us on sight and even remembered Evey's name!

Now, if I'm visiting Christopher at work and they come by, they always make it a point to come talk to me and check on Evey. I can tell that Immanuel isn't your typical daycare facility. They really care about the kids they keep and knowing that Evey gets to be in that environment makes me happy.


Jesus - thank you for your unending provisions. Thank you for orchestrating this incredible opportunity for our family and thank you for resolving my fears. You never cease to amaze me and I love you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment