Thursday, May 17, 2012

Good Night, Sleep Tight

At 9 months, 2 weeks and 5 days, Evey can put herself to sleep.

I don't know if this is a big deal or not, but my heart is filled with pride!


Tonight, we got home later than normal. We had gone to Kid-to-Kid to sell some old clothes and toys and we went to Kroger for groceries. It doesn't seem like much, but sometimes, hauling Evey and the diaper bag, and a shopping list, and boxes of stuff to sell can be quite the adventure!

We tried a new technique in the grocery because we never seem to have enough room in the cart. Evey got to play in her umbrella stroller, with the diaper bag hanging off the back (I'd rather have it handy than have to sprint back out to the car!).

It worked great! She was MUCH happer, had a harder time grabbing goodies off the shelves, and we had more than enough room for all we needed to buy!

By the time we were done, though, it was 7:30pm and we needed to start her bedtime routine by 8. Especially since it was a bath night. We love taking our time with her baths. She loves the water so much, and it's so much fun to see her splash and play. Unlike my squirmy nephew, Evey is relatively tranquil in the water, so we're still able to bathe in the sink.

We played for a while, and when she got tired, we dried off and got ready for bed. I pulled her into my lap and we read "Llama Llama, Night Night" and Evey flipped the pages. I love reading with her. She gets so excited at each new page and I love holding her close.

I nursed her to sleep tonight, as I always do. We recently weaned her off of her swaddler and now we just wrap her up in a muslin cloth blanket. It's so cute when she's able to get her arms out, but it still keeps her still enough to not wake up... normally. This time, when I stood up, she jerked awake.

For some reason, I decided to go ahead and try putting her down. I kissed her and told her "I love you to the moon and back," as I do every night, and put her in her crib. She has a stuffed dog that playes music, so I turned on the bedtime songs and laid it next to her. I waited a couple of minutes, but she was so enthralled, playing with her dog, that she didnt' even notice me leaving.

I spent about 15 minutes watching her rub the dog's ear, and eventually flip it over to rub the tag on its bottom. She never made a peep, and she hasn't woken up since then.

My sweet girl never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment