Friday, June 10, 2011

Beginning of the End

So much has been happening and now - in the blink of an eye - we're less than two months from the eminent arrival of Evey Emaline Davis and I am getting more and more excited as each day passes.

Our nursery is so close to being done and Christopher is doing an amazing job putting it together. We'll post pictures as soon as it's completed.

We had a great check-up last week. Evey's heartrate was 132 bpm (which I thought was a little low, but the nurse says that it's perfect and strong) and she's between 4 - 4.5 lbs. Even though Evey is gaining weight like crazy, I'm still managing to lose it! I still weigh 9 lbs less than where I started on December 18th. I've never felt better - and even when I feel "bad" Evey starts dancing and it makes everything worthwhile... speaking of which, I think she knows I'm talking about her!


We just had our first birthing class tonight - and that made everything feel so real! I was expecting the class to be cheesy, especially because of the way these classes are portrayed by Hollywood. But, I really enjoyed it and I learned a lot. Since the beginning of the pregnancy, I really wanted to go through labor naturally but I wasn't sure if I could handle it. Christopher has pretty much been my only supporter in this decision. People wonder why I want to put myself through the pain when the meds can make everything easier. After tonight, I no longer feel alone in the decision to go natural and my reasoning was validated over and over again.

Now, I feel like I'm much more educated about the entire labor process, whether I use anesthesia or not. I feel like natural labor is much more attainable than I did before, and I've got two more classes to teach me positions and breathing techniques to make it more endurable.

Our instructor went over the side effects of the usual drugs given during labor and the pros and cons of natural birth. I'm happy to say that as long as Evey and I are both healthy, she will enter this world 100% drug-free!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as someone who had to go into emergency surgery with Lizard, I heartily applaud your choice to go natural. I _wanted_ to go natural and would have had there not been complications. Go for it lady! Women birthed children for centuries without drugs and you can do it too! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete