Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Miracle of Life

I was up for almost 24 hours straight yesterday, and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. I got to be at the hospital – eavesdropping at the door – when my god-daughter, Lucy Belle Colliver was born. It was truly incredible. I’ve never had the opportunity to hear someone’s first cry, but it was the single most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard.

Lucy arrived in this world on February 12, 2011 at 1:12am. She weighed 6lbs 11oz and was 20 inches long. Seeing Lucy’s perfect fingers and long toes and her perfectly precious flat ears was like looking directly at a miracle. Her eyes were so alert, and that head of hair! I’ve never seen so much hair on a baby so young!

Even though our friend was in so much pain, being there last night actually eased any fears I had of labor and birth. Seeing her after, Naomi has never been more beautiful and Lucy was absolutely perfect. I am so much more excited about seeing our own child than I was before, and that’s saying something.

We got home around 4:30 this morning and then woke up at 8:30ish to meet my parents… The rest of our baby furniture came in and they were going to help us pick it up to bring it home. Now – once we have a rocker – our nursery will be complete and undecorated.

We were standing in the baby’s room after we got everything put together and I realized how much I’ve grown. When I found out I was pregnant, I got on the scale to see how much I weighed. Since that day, I’ve lost 21lbs and I feel amazing. It may seem like a lot to lose during pregnancy, but my only explanation is that I’m eating right and exercising (sometimes) in order to have the healthiest baby possible.






I can see a noticeable difference in my baby bump every day. Last weekend I was wearing a pair of “pre-pregnancy” jeans that I had rubber banded together to keep them from falling down. I wore them comfortably that way Saturday and Sunday. By Monday, when I went to work, I started panting and realized I couldn’t breathe because my pants were too tight!

A lot of friends and colleagues are convinced we’re having twins because I’ve grown so quickly. Me? I’m not so convinced… I think we’ll be okay with one!
J

1 comment:

  1. You never know....I told Dave the same thing about two weeks later he called me with the news and he wouldn't have it anyway else now.

    ReplyDelete